Thursday, October 12, 2006

Against the Staus Quo2

This week I was inviting students to our weekly meeting when a student said (I think hoping that I wouldn't hear or understand) "these will brainwash you". His friend (I think hoping to make up for his friends blatant prejudice) asked me, "are you a religious group?" This is probably the most frequent question I get from students and administration. Given what we do on campus and how we have consistently presented ourselves this question can only be based in prejudice.
Today a student told me with a straight face that he has no personal conflicts. I wanted to ask him if he had ever told a lie! Another told me in his own way all truth (especially religious) is relative and that anyone who would try to persuade otherwise is not tolerant.
These prejudices, indifference, spiritual blindness and close-mindedness we see among students are difficult to deal with. "The world is unprincipled. It's dog-eat-dog out there! The world doesn't fight fair. But we don't live or fight our battles that way--never have and never will. The tools of our trade aren't for marketing or manipulation, but they are for demolishing that entire massively corrupt culture. We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:3-5)